Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fly Selection... Nature vs. New Age Kinda?

I was thinking the other day about what makes people select certain flies. Even more importantly, why? I will apologize in advance for some slightly hippy sounding ramblings that may follow.......(I must admit I once owned more Dead records than fly rods.) I am a firm believer in what works and if you find it by all means use it. I do however like to experiment. There is something about certain flies that just screams bugginess. Which is kinda misleading I think because some of my favorites don't look much like any particular bug at all. This is where it gets kinda metaphysical, but all those flies have one thing in common. They have Mojo. Its almost as if they could catch a fish all by themselves. That silhouette, that wing, that wierd yarn you ganked from your ex girlfriends sweater makes it everything a trout could want in a meal. Oh, if it has CDC it gets an instant Mojo boost. (CDC is like a spiritual trek to the Himilayas for flies.) The point is somethings can't be explained, they just are. When you find them hold on for dear life.

mo-jo any object, as an amulet or charm, that is believed to carry a magic spell

Tight Lines, Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment